Tuesday, May 7, 2013

Remembering What It's All About

I wanted to share this because it moved me. There were reasons why I chose teaching as a profession. When I moved to Oklahoma I taught my first year unbeknownst to me, at the worst school in the city. My first year was so bad that I decided to go get my masters degree in something else. What I gained while studying criminals was an even deeper understanding into the serious social issues that impact kids in school. I learned a lot about poverty via Ruby Payne and through my education in Texas, but when I taught my first year in an inner city school I was unprepared for what I would face. I didn't quit because of the kids, I quit because of the lack of leadership and support that ultimately was causing the school to fail. I left because the mentality of the teachers at the school was to yell and scream and threaten kids into submission, which never worked. I left for a lot of reasons. I assumed that all the schools would be the same and for a few other reasons I opted to go back to school. During my studies in criminal justice I began to understand something that I couldn't understand before. The criminal justice system is the back end, it is what happens after these kids have been failed by schools, teachers, churches, communities, parents and peers. Once these kids wind up in the system it's mostly downhill. Most become repeat offenders. A large number don't finish school making it even harder for them to turn their lives around. Most do not have the relationships that would have or could have put them on a different track. My education has continued to teach me how important teachers are. The are very undervalued, overworked and underpaid and it is true that if you teach you teach because you love what you do and not for the money. (although most would appreciate better pay)  My 15 year old son came home and urged me to watch this video. I didn't want to, I was busy trying to learn about CAFE, I kept saying not now, later, I don't feel like it, but my son persisted and finally I gave in and I was so glad I did. I needed to watch this and stoke the fire in my belly. This video really just says it all and anyone who is a teacher understands. Teaching elementary is challenging and teaching inner city school kids is even more challenging and the things we see test us. I am just glad that I am back because I know I have all of my heart to give.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Translate